New Book - Refactoring
This week we talk about improving the design of existing code, the refactoring process and the end goal.
Welcome to iteration. A weekly podcast about programming, development, and design through the lens of amazing books, chapter-by-chapter.
Improving the Design of Existing Code
by Martin Fowler (with Kent Beck)
- What’s in the book?
- Who’s it for?
- What’s refactoring?
- Identify a pain, smell a smell, we’ll talk more about when to refactor in later episodes.
- Separate feature additions from refactors
- Refactorings are like diets - a lifestyle vs an intensive
- Test coverage first
- Small changes continually running tests
- End goal: lots of small well-named functions that tells a clear story.
Considerations + Thoughts
- Tests let JP in react native move faster
- Refactoring lets you get things out of your head and into the code. Do this continuously.
- Performance and refactoring